Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Loving the Rain - but maybe just a little dry??

So I'm loving the rain, I really am. Everything is lush and green and beautiful. This includes the barley that is our cover crop. And the fact that you can still see the cover crop in a couple of fields means that it's been too wet for our neighbor to get his tractor in and disc. And this is problematic to a person that has a lot of starts that need to go in the ground, and a lot of seeds that need to be planted now for there to be much hope of summer flowers. A person like, say, me. But I'm hoping Glenn comes tomorrow. And that it's not tooo wet. In the meantime, though, I've decided not to stress about it. It's not like it would fix it anyway. And besides, the delay means I've noticed that I actually have a lot of volunteer sunflowers. How cool is that?

In athletic-type news, I'm typing this with an ice pack on my shoulder. And I know, you're thinking, does she ever actually exercise, or does she just pretend to exercise until there's a new malady that requires ice. And that's a particularly appropriate question right now, because the problem that I'm icing is a result of... stretching. Yep. Stretching. If you want to feel like a complete dumbass then go to swim practice, be swimming in a fairly convincing fashion, be standing around waiting for everyone to finish so you can start your next set, decide you might as well stretch your shoulder a little like the real swimmers, do a yoga stretch that is normally no problem - and then have burning pain the likes of which you have rarely experienced [except for that small incident with the horse, the broken ribs and the chest tube] hit your rotator cuff and streak on down to your elbow. And then stand there while you're trying to look like nothing is really going on (because really, personal drama is best kept personal). So it finally went away a little (while I'm mentally chanting "I'm sure this is just like a sprained ankle where if you can stand it for a minute or two it's going to feel much better.") And then I took it easy last week, and swam half of the workout last night, and I actually think it's ok, just a little grumpy. But seriously, no more shoulder stretches like the big kids do. The bonus was that last night I swam the timed 1000 with fins so my shoulder would have a little break. I *love* fins. They're like turbochargers. I sort of dawdled along last night with my happy fins and took about 10 strokes to get from one end of the pool to the other. It was almost worth the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment