Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Actual Planting!

Some actual planting occurred today - most exciting. Still no sign of Glenn and the tractor, but we made do with the tiller to get a few rows going (our tiller is a little on the elderly side, and definitely not up to prepping a whole field.) It was fun - one of those days where I flop down in the dirt and start planting and ruminating on how lucky I am to be doing this, and how much happier (if poorer) I am than when I sat on the 48th floor of the Bank of America tower in Charlotte. No lie, I would spend a lot of time staring out of the window and wishing I could fly. Away. That's really not a good sign for job satisfaction.

After getting some starts in (perennial sunflowers, shasta daisies, eucalyptus) I then set about unearthing my pink larkspur. It hasn't come in quite as vigorously as the section of the bed that has the blue and purple, and it was about to disappear under a bed of weeds. So I was down on hands and knees separating weeds from the fledgling larkspur, and that's really a pretty satisfying task. Talk about immediate gratification - it's like mowing the yard. An hour of effort and then poof! it looks perfect again.

After all of the farm-type stuff I had a fabulous lunch with my friends Paula and Stephanie, to celebrate Stephanie's selling of her first two novels!!! To a really great publishing house and editor!!!! It's soooo exciting to see someone follow their dream and actually catch it. Plus she's funny and clever and too much fun to read - check out her blog to see what I'm talking about.

I ran 3 miles last night and the gimpy achilles made nary a peep. Most exciting. I'm really enjoying turning into a quasi-swimmer, but there's something to be said for feeling like you actually sort of know what you're doing. Coming home again, as it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment