Saturday, December 21, 2013

How to Make Your Baby Look Like a Badass






Holiday orders have slowed down a bit, which means I finally take a deep breath and feel the Christmas spirit in the air.  We're having friends over for dinner, I went to my favorite Pilates class this morning, and I'm lolling about watching Sports Center like a sloth right now.  Perfect.  

One of my favorite parts of the holiday slackerdom is that I get a chance to pick up my knitting needles again.  Which reminds me of one of my all-time favorite knitting projects.

Leslie and I have been friends since the first day of college (and now live a block apart), and she's a gooood gift-giver.  So a few years ago when another of mutual friends, Meredith, was pregnant, Leslie decided to commission a truly unique baby gift.  Meredith and her husband Pete are big Johnny Cash fans, and Leslie thought it would be cool to translate that into knitwear (because wouldn't everyone think of Johnny Cash and baby knitting as a logical connection?)

So I looked at the iconic Johnny Cash pictures.  I thought about trying this one, but something about it didn't quite say "baby".



So then I moved on to this album cover:





And then I got out the graph paper, and the light box (I mean my kitchen window), and came up with a pattern.  And then. . .  I eventually came up with the finished product.




And actually, considering that I was working with wool and knitting needles, I was pretty surprised it turned out as well as it did.  My current projects aren't quite as elaborate - think cable knit mittens, instead of badass baby gear - but I'm still really looking forward to getting back to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment