Friday, January 15, 2010

Food Misfire

So I've been trying to improve my diet a bit. Kind of less potato chips, more sweet potatoes, that kind of thing. This morning I was determined to tackle oatmeal, which as a general rule I loathe. Not my thing - wrong texture. But steel cut oats are supposed to be *Different*! *Better*! *Yummy*! And it turns out - they kind of are. But only if you don't commit a user error. I was thinking that when Clark eats oatmeal it's all about the sugar - so maybe I should add some of that. Except these oats are kind of nutty, like they're begging for nuts and maybe cranberries and if you're going to sprinkle anything, maybe salt - in keeping with the nuttiness? So the sugar was pretty much a fail. I got them down, but it wasn't all that pretty. And lunch was going to be a sweet potato - which I like - so I was thinking I'd put salt on it like a baked potato. Except there's a reason why every Thanksgiving casserole involves a sweet potato and some sugar. Because they go together. So basically my new healthy diet plan had all of the right components, but none of the right execution. Live and learn.

I had a milestone at the Y pool yesterday. Finally sucked it up and did a real live workout by myself. The reason I go to Masters (or at least one of them), is because I'm not much for slogging out yard after yard by myself. I need some lane mates, and preferably a coach, to keep me going. But yesterday I decided it was time to suck it up buttercup, and did 3600 pretty respectable yards. Yay!

Today the weather is BEAUTIFUL, in great contrast to last week when it didn't get above freezing. In celebration of the 57 degree temperature (yes, 57!), Pippi and I went out for a ride. She was kind of surprised to be off the trainer, but she got with the program and we went up Sunset Mountain and around Woodfin down to the river and back. Not too much of a ride - about an hour - but it was woooonderful to be outside. And my achilles only kind of hurt. In fact I'm not even really sure if it was the achilles - it might just be normal kind-of-soreness from acting like a maniac on the elliptical last night. Hard to say, but with all of the swim - bike - sort of run, it's almost like I'm an actual triathlete.

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog today, and it's so great to see you wanting to eat oatmeal. I also saw that you tried steel cut oats. If you are interested I can send you a sample of our oats, Coach's Oats. Our oats are processed in a completely new way. And while they have the texture and taste of steel cut oats they cook in 3 – 5 min on the stove or in the microwave. Please contact us with any further questions.
    * Coach's favorite oatmeal topping is a heaping tbsp of all natural peanut butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar. You should try that to enhance the nutty flavor of the oats.

    ReplyDelete