Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Might I Sort of Be a ... Swimmer?

The answer is.. maybe. In slightly fledgling form. Because Monday I actually pulled my act together and was standing on the pool deck at the Asheville Country Club at 5:30 in the morning. It was 55 degrees and I was standing there in my bathing suit thinking "I have done some dumb things in my life, but this ranks right up there." It was, officially, my first practice with the Asheville Masters team. And... I survived! A couple of times I almost thrived, but then reality would set in and I'd have to take a small break for the pulse to return to non-stratospheric levels. But all in all was a very pleasant surprise - I wasn't the slowest person there, everyone was quite friendly, I did more breaststroke than I have ever strung together in my life (turns out real swimmers do more than just freestyle), and then I capped it of with... a speeding ticket on the way home. Yup. First one ever. I was totally zoning, concentrating on just getting home to some actual food and a shower, and I blew through the school zone outside Claxton. Yep, school zone. So if you're thinking "wow, she's screwed" - you're right.

The other reason I might sort of be turning into a swimmer - tonight the tri club had its first swim at Lake Logan for the season, complete with an open water swim clinic from Andrew Pulsifer, and it rocked. Got some good information from Andrew, had a fun swim with my neighbor Geoffrey, had a fun ride there and back with Geoffrey and his wife Dawn and their tiny new baby Gabby (whom I have still never seen awake.) Lake Logan is, however, a little bit chilly in June. In fact if you were in Haywood County tonight and heard someone yell "Holy Sh!T!!!", that was probably me upon jumping into the water. Fortunately it did, in fact, feel warmer once we got moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment