Thursday, January 27, 2011

Wrecked

I was planning on the Hot Chocolate 10-K being a blip on my screen - one hard fun day that slipped seamlessly into my training plan.  Except that's not exactly how it's turning out so far.  Because I'm *still* not quite right.  (If you ride horses, you'll understand when I say I'm NQR.)  I was so sore I could barely walk through Tuesday (Sam had to slow down in the grocery store so I could keep up), and I was semi-mobile by Wednesday, but mysterious aches and pains keep cropping up as the soreness recedes.  First a weird low back/backside thing that felt strange and buzzy like a pinched nerve, then it migrated around to my hip, and has now settled rather painfully into my hip flexor.  Does that make any sense?  Not really.  And my left calf is still reallllly sore/painful.  So I think it was maybe a blessing in disguise that my new pup has been up most of the night every night this week with an upset stomach - because I've been too sleep-deprived to care all that much that I wasn't getting my workouts in.  (Seriously, I'm grasping for silver linings here.)


Obligatory pictures of cute new pup:




But today I went out for a bit of a jog, and things were definitely not ready to run again. The hip hurt running downhill, and the calf hurt running uphill, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say the big hill did me in.  Which is bizarre, because yes it's a big hill, but I thought I was in decent shape, and I run a fair number of hills.  But - I guess that's the thing about the human body, I find it's often somewhat hard to predict.  So I suppose I'll take it easy for a few more days and see how things are feeling.  I'm hoping it doesn't take too much longer to feel better, because I'm reallly hoping to run the Myrtle Beach Half-Marathon on Feb. 19.  We'll see.

In other unrelated-but-still-athletic news, I'm now on the Board of the Asheville Triathlon Club.  I'm co-chair of the events committee, so if anyone has any ideas let me know.  We're definitely putting on some tried-and-true favorites, like the Indoor Tri and a transition clinic, but I'd be interested to hear any new ideas.  Check out the Tri Club blog to see the current cast of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment