Thursday, February 3, 2011

Back in the Saddle

So, turns out I don't have to bankrupt myself to the ART practitioner after all.  Because that was my plan B in case my hip flexor didn't ever decide to flex again.  But it appears to have decided to rejoin the party, and so I'm back at it. (Well, if you can consider jogging aimlessly around Montford being back at it.)  But today I'm going to attempt to run an actual workout.  Fingers crossed.

Biggest news of the week (month?? year??) - Sam learned to ride a bike yesterday!!!  He had sort-of, somewhat attempted to ride a couple of times over the last couple of years, but it just never really seemed to take.  He'd crash, scare himself a little, and decide that was the most ridiculous activity he'd ever heard of.  But - he got a fire in his belly this week and decided he was ready.  So I got his old bike (now ridiculously small for him - which is perfect for learning on), and we headed to the Greenway.  And - he figured it out.  It was sooo fun to watch.  I had a cheek ache from smiling so much.  And at one point he turned around and yelled "this is the most amazing feeling in the world!!!!!", and I knew *exactly* how he felt.  It was this great moment of kinship and accord.  So we're going back for more today, and now I'm looking at the budget to see where a new bike fits in.  And - I have the *most adorable* video of him on his first day of biking, and I'm *dying* to post it, but since the video ends with him yelling "and don't put this on youtube!!!", I'm guessing that should also apply to my blog.  But it's really adorable.


Edited to Add:  The hip flexor really did decide to flex!  7 miles around N. Asheville in an hour (more or less), including 2x200, 2x400, 2x200 on the UNCA track.  The track intervals were supposed to be at 5k race pace, and I really did mean to be good, but for a person who once actually ran the 400, doing those intervals at 5k pace seems realllllly silly.  So I was faster than I was supposed to be, but not by too much, and - Happy Dance! - the legs seemed to be up for it.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are starting to feel better!!!! And even more excited about Sam and that unbelievable feeling of freedom and bike brings.

    Yee Haw Sam, that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete