Sunday, December 28, 2008

Holiday Weekend Recap

Have made it through the holiday weekend. Have had 5 separate major family holiday meals in the last 5 days - not kidding. That's what happens when you and your spouse have a lot of family in the area, and siblings coming in and out on different days. So despite the sodium coma I thought I was going to lapse into after my mom's super-processed-casserole extravaganza, I actually managed to still work out. Here's the recap:

Friday - 30 minutes on the stationary bike, 30 minutes veeeery slowly running on the flat treadmill to try out the achilles, and then 30 minutes swimming. All in all a big success! Achilles felt great and I got one of those "The Stick" massager things to try to keep the calves slightly less knotted up. That ought to help the achilles some. It's a cranky s.o.b. Total mileage, using my totally non-scientific way of figuring this out, would be 7.5 for the 90 minutes of exercise.

Saturday - was a beautiful day, so scrapped the plan to head back to the Y and instead Clark and I went to Carrier Park (the only flat place I know to run in Asheville) and ran 3 rather easy miles - again achilles felt fine. Also officially signed us up for our races - We're going to run the Potomac River Run in DC on May 4 - Clark's doing the half and I'm doing the full.Woohoo!

Sunday - back to the Y, since I didn't want to push my luck, and did 30 minutes on elliptical and 30 minutes swimming. Was rather fun - Clark went with me and confirmed that at least I do actually have something resembling a real freestyle stroke. This isn't all that impressive to him since he was on the swim team from ages 6 through 18, but he does agree it's progress. I also lost my mind and bought a road bike sight-unseen from Craig's List. It's basically the exact same bike the local shop was trying to convince me to buy, except this one is a last year's model that a guy bought his girlfriend hoping she'd decide to ride - she didn't, so after one ride and then sitting in his hall for a year, he's selling it for $450 off current retail. You know I'm a bargain shopper - couldn't pass it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment