Thursday, January 19, 2012

This is Where the Magic Happens

Remember when I learned to make silicone molds?  And I was so proud of myself?  Well, that's how I've been occupying the last few days.  Because I found a *bunch* of bangles just crying out to be turned into molds, but I kept thinking "oh, I don't have time for that, I'm in the holiday rush.  And the post-holiday rush.  And the studio overhaul.  And the inventory and accounting overhaul."  And finally, I wasn't in any kind of rush or overhaul and had to face the fact that the time is now.  

So, I pulled out the trusty duck tape and poster board and glue gun - because believe it or not those are the crucial ingredients to making a good silicone mold - and got to work.  People, this is where the magic happens: 



I know, hard to believe right?  And also, it's possible that the real professional mold makers have a different system, but this is the one (after much trial and error) that has given me the best results.  It's not all glamour, here, ok?



BUT, in a few days I should have several new bangles, which I'm pretty excited about.  Will post pics here first for the sneak preview!

And - I'm going to put together a post on Stitch Labs in a few weeks too - that's the "inventory and accounting overhaul" I mentioned above.  I think it might be the coolest thing ever for small artisan businesses.  After being the bane of my existence while trying to figure it out.  Will post the full report once I've totally got it under control.  Fair and balanced coverage - that's what this blog is all about.  That, and glue guns.



No comments:

Post a Comment