Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Heard this on the radio this morning. . .

So I'm driving to Masters this morning, at 5:30, and listening to NPR, and a story about the WASP pilots comes on. I only managed to listen to half of it before I got to the pool, but I was fascinated.



Luckily enough, I leave the pool pretty much exactly 2 hours later, and lo and behold, on NPR is the second half of the WASP story. Brilliant! Here it is - it's totally worth a listen. I have to admit, it brought tears to my eyes - probably because these women were serving their country without any expectation of fame or fortune (and they certainly didn't get any - at least not until decades later), and also because my grandmother was a ship welder during World War II. A true Rosie the Riveter. And I like to think she approached life with the same attitude these women show. The interviews with the surviving pilots are priceless.

2 comments:

  1. What a great photo! And thanks for highlighting these women in your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn - good to hear from you! I love that picture too - they look ready to take on the world.

    ReplyDelete